Temporary Visas

Employees of international organizations, such as the United Nations, the World Health Organization, the World Bank, the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development, the Inter-American Development Bank, etc. may be accorded G visas. G is a quasi-diplomatic visa, for individuals coming to the United States in an official capacity to work for an international organization, either under official commission as a representative or delegate of a foreign government member state to the international organization, or under a direct contract of employment with the international organization. No petition to USCIS is required because G visa status does not involve a U.S. employer.

G-1 visas are available for official representatives of a foreign government of a member state belonging to the international organization.

G-2 visas are for other government representatives of a member state.

G-3 visas are for representatives of non-member states or unrecognized governments to the international organization.

G-4 visas are for officers and employees of the international organization.

G-5 visas are for attendants, personal employees and domestic servants of principal travelers in G-1 to G-4 status.

Like diplomats in A visa status, G visa holders representing the government of their home country on official business with an international organization in G-1 to G-3 status must be issued a “diplomatic note” by the sending country, and family dependents of G visa holders are accorded the same G visa status as the principal. All G visa holders including dependent family members and personal employees must be registered with the State Department through the employing international organization once they enter the United States, and are given a “personal identification number”, which may be needed for any future change to another visa status or to permanent residence.  Some G dependents are eligible for employment authorization, depending on the existence of a formal bilateral agreement or informal de facto arrangement between the United States and the home country: if unsure whether your sending country qualifies, check with the Department of State’s Family Liaison Office. Unlike most other temporary visa classifications, there is no filing fee or biometrics fee for changes into or out of A or G nonimmigrant visa status in the United States.

Looking for an attorney to answer your questions about obtaining or changing from G visa status? Contact Karin Wolman today!

Have a Question?
Need Help? Let us know.

    What kind of immigration matter are you inquiring about? Please let us know.

    No sales solicitations